A hackathon, also known as a codefest, is a social coding event that brings computer programmers and other interested people together to improve upon or build a new software program. The goal of a hackathon is to create functioning software or hardware by the end of the event.
If you are a developer, hackathons can be very useful for your career. There are many advantages for a developer to attend hackathons :
- Hackathons are a fantastic opportunity to learn new skills, sharpen existing ones and meet new people in the industry. Your first hackathon will allow you apply the skills and projects you’ve learned through your coursework to help solve real-life issues.
- At hackathons, you participate according to your interest and because of this, you are bound to learn something new about the development process. You stumble upon different ways of performing a particular task and learn a lot as a developer. Hackathons are also an obvious career-boost. They will make you more aware of your own capabilities and thus also boost your confidence.
- Gain Experience - As a student programmer, one has probably started to expand his/her knowledge of coding. But, what they may lack is experience. Experience is a vital element to securing a job later on.
- Recruitment- One of the biggest reasons to attend a student hackathon is for employment purposes. A lot of companies use hackathons as an opportunity to find fresh faces to recruit to their company. They are scouting out people who are successful working in a high-paced environment.
- Values of diversity and inclusion are becoming increasingly apparent in hackathon culture; more and more events are focusing on diverse demographics. These events are powerful drivers for change, and the world will be a much better, more equitable place because of their impact.
Sometimes your idea/solution might be so amazing that it could get bought, or you and your team mate might resonate so well that you will continue working together beyond the hackathon and maybe even form your own startup.
It is not always about winning the competition, but the answer to the question – Were you able to make something which you can be proud of? If the answer is yes, then you are on the right track. Keep looking for different hackathons in your location and participate.
Hackathons are beneficial for your growth as a programmer, and are a great potential investment in your career. Hackathons are ideal events to boost employability. With hackathons, students can not only improve their coding skills but also stand out from others during placements. Events like hackathon provide a golden opportunity to learn, improve, and grow.